Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Epilepsy and Autism

Its been a while since I visit my blog,, maybe because there is nothing to write and also everything about my daughter is the same,,, everything is good and she's doing great. Last year, Nov. 7 to be exact my husband found our Michaella lying on the floor wiggling, her eyes looking upwards, the body is very stiff and her lip color was blue,,, Ella! Ella! but no response. God! we panicked we had no idea what was happening. We took her to a hospital, as soon as we arrived she was already concious and as if nothing happen and the first thing she asked was her slippers and wanted to go home. She was confined for 2 days, after that she had an EEG and the result was normal, the Nuerologist told us we wait for the 2nd attack that is beacause epilepsy could attack once a year or once in 5 yrs. so we should start the medication if the attack should ever happen again.
Last thursday, Feb. 12 she had her 2nd attack, she was in school. Now, she is on medication she's taking Tegretol 200 mg twice daily for 1 week, 1 1/2 tablets twice daily for the follwing weeks then another check up to see if she's doing ok with the meds and she will take Tegretol for 2 years hopefully this will cure her epilepsy. This is so frustrating, as I have said on my past posts she improves beyond my expectations. Epilepsy, a new chapter of my life.
Dra. Fojas of Makati Medical Center a Pediatric Neurologist expalined, epilepsy and autism as I have remembered is like a partner, I really thought it only occur on little ones but she said it also occur on early teens and early adulthood especially with autistics. The good news about it, is, it can be cured! Hopefully Tegretol can take this away.

2 comments:

Beautiful Me said...

Hi, I'm also a mom who has a child with epilepsy and diagnosed mild autism. Can you give me your email address if you don't mind? I would like to seek advice from you and I think I can learn a lot from you. I am also confused and sad about things happening to my child. Please help me.

jackie said...

my email add is jhanty30@yahoo.com.. sorry for the delay

Powered By Blogger